Governor of Yobe state, Alhaji Ibrahim Gaidam, has retracted the statement issued earlier on the rescue of school girls abducted by Boko haram militants in Government Girls Science and Technical College, Dapchi, in the state.
On Monday, the Boko Haram terrorists had attacked the girls’ college and abducted many of the girls.
While 48 of them were said to have been rescued by the army, another 111 of them were reportedly still missing after the attack.
A statement signed by Abdullahi Bego, the Director-General, Press Affairs to Governor Ibrahim Gaidam, on Wednesday, claimed that some of the girls were rescued and were then in the custody of the Nigerian Army.
According to the statement,
“The Yobe State Government hereby informs the public that some of the girls at Government Girls Science Technical College (GGSTC) whose school was attacked by Boko Haram terrorists last Monday have been rescued by gallant officers and men of the Nigerian Army from the terrorists who abducted them.
“The rescued girls are now in the custody of the Nigerian Army. We will provide more details about their number and condition in due course. “His Excellency, Governor Ibrahim Gaidam, who is very grateful for the gallantry and hard work of the officers and men of the Nigerian Army involved in the operation, is monitoring the situation closely and will make a statement in due course” the statement said.
Governor Gaidam, who was at the Palace of the district head in Dapchi town to console parents and residents over the unfortunate incident, said there was no established case of abduction on the school girls to this day.
“Until now, we have no certainly that these boys (Boko haram) have taken these girls.
“We should keep praying so that God reveal the whereabouts of the girls.
“We directed the soldiers and security personnel to go anywhere the girls are said to have been seen and find them. I am together with the GOC, Brig-Gen Garba. His men went to places that the girls were said to have been sighted but, for the past two days, wherever the troops go, they were only told that it was a convoy of Boko haram passing through the villages but they didn’t see any girls.