Musician Yinka Ayefele’s multi-million naira studio came under the bulldozers today, as the Oyo state government made good its threat to demolish the building for violating town planning rules.
The demolition of the building began this morning, with Ayefele posting photographs of the rubble on his Instagram page, with an emotional statement.
“Oyo state government did at last…..my pain my sweat..so help me God.”
The destruction of the N800m building and content, attracted hundreds of Ibadan residents.Oyo government said the building contravened the state’s planning laws and blamed it for three fatal accidents on the abutting highway.
The state government had, last week, issued a demolition notice, which the legendary musician and broadcaster said was politically motivated.
The notice which was addressed to Ayefele reads,“Having failed to comply with the earlier stop work/quit/ contravention notice (s) served on your development or as your structure is found to be structurally defective/poses danger or constitutes a nuisance to the occupier or the general public, you are hereby ordered to vacate the site and remove the structure thereon within three days, failure of which the government shall effect the removal and commence legal action against you in accordance with Section 43 of the law.”
Reacting to the notice through his publicist, David Ajiboye; Ayefele said:
“We don’t see it as a threat; instead we see it as a challenge because the planned demolition of the music house is politically motivated.
When the governor visited the studio in 2016, he said people told him to demolish the building because Ayefele was not in his camp. The building was approved in June 2008 as a business premise; that is over 10 years ago,” he said.
NAN reports that the demolished Music House located at the Challenge-Toll gate road, is also home to Ayefele’s Fresh FM Station.
Ayefele had approached an Oyo State High Court sitting in Ibadan seeking to stop the demolition.
Ayefele’s counsel, Mr Olayinka Bolanle, in an exparte motion, filed before the court, sought for an order of the court restraining the state government from demolishing the property pending the determination of the suit.
Bolanle also stated that due process was followed in the construction of the structure while relevant approvals were obtained from the state’s departments and agencies associated with land and housing.
Justice I. Yerima ordered the claimant to ensure service of the court process on the respondent and adjourned the case till Monday for the hearing of the exparte motion.
The state government on Sunday, however, demolished the structure.
Witnesses told NAN that bulldozers moved in at about 4.30 a.m. to commence the demolition while Fresh FM alerted the public on the development.
The government officials and equipment used in the exercise had since left the scene.
NAN reports that the radio station had since been off air while a huge crowd gathered at the site.
See more photos below.